Thursday, September 03, 2009

Brig. Gen. Leland C. Shepard, Jr.

It is with pride, love and everlasting admiration for all of those who have served, and the children who willingly served, or stood by, while they held their fathers in great esteem...I, now add, my father's name to all whom have gone before, Brig.General Leland C. Shepard Jr., passed away July 22, 2009...and will be buried with FULL MILITARY HONORS at ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY, on Wednesday, October 14, 2009 at 3 p.m...I know my father will share TAPS...with all of those..who have served and were a part of ... THE GREAT GENERATION.. before and after... who gave us the freedom, we are so grateful for...today...
God Bless..We Will Not Forget

Judy Shepard Chapman ('69)
msjujubelle@gmail.com

2 comments:

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

The tears flow so readily, Gloria, when I read about these fathers in whom we have such pride. We may not see each other - and many of us do not know each other - but what a bond we share. Thank you, Gloria, for all you do.

Julie Harbor Maupin

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

Please accept my condolenses and tell your mom and sisters I send my love and respect for your father as truly one of the great generation. I hope you can be together as a family to remember the good times and to honor the love and family he gave. You know I think it is wonderful that he is being honored with full military honors and I'm so proud that the US does this. When my father died, he was buried in Texas, but it was so touching and well honorable that at his funeral a full honor guard played taps, gave him a full 21 gun salute and thanked us for sharing our father with the nation. I know of no other country that so gracefully and with such obvious love and honor says good bye to the heros and officers who served them.


I truly send my love and respect to you all and to your father. I remember he was a very handsome man, who always to me seemed like an "intellectual" military man. Really!

Later, I'll write to you and catch up. Take care during this passing as I know this is a tough time for you. Loosing one's parents really is a passage.

Sending you lots of love,

Martha Madsen ('69)