Wednesday, December 22, 2010

MARVIN PORTER - MATH TEACHER

Dear Friends -

Our dear friend and math teacher, Marvin Porter, passed away on Monday, Dec 20, 2010. He had been in ill health for a long time .... but he still had his spirit and sense of humor. I will post his obituary in the RHS Memorials as soon as it is published in the San Antonio paper, but here is the information I have right now:

You can send condolences to the Funeral Home or to his beloved sister,

Frances Goslin
127 Inspiration Drive
San Antonio, TX 78228

I traded correspondence with him for the last 40 years and we had several LONG conversations on the phone. He could talk!!! The one thing he said most often was that his years teaching at RHS were the most fun he ever had. He really loved us kids. I know several of you contacted him over the years and told him what a great teacher he was and he appreciated that tremendously.

Marvin C. Porter Jr., age 85, passed away on December 21, 2010. He was born on November 21, 1925 in Noxapater, MS. He was a Veteran in the Army Air Corp during WWII. He was a teacher and taught in various school districts and retired with the Randolph I.S.D. as a math teacher.

Marvin was preceded in death by his parents, Marvin C. Porter, Sr. & Julia M. Therrell; sister, Therrell Porter.

He is survived by his 3 sisters, Frances Goslin & her husband William T. Jr., Juanita Hutton, Julia M. Bowen & her husband Jimmy; numerous nieces and nephews that called him "Uncle Brother".

Visitation will be 11:00 a.m., Monday, December 27, 2010 at Sunset Funeral Home Chapel with the Funeral Service to follow at 12 noon. Burial will continue at Sunset Memorial Park.

Visitation

Monday, December 27, 2010
11:00a.m. - 12:00p.m.
Sunset Funeral Chapel
1701 Austin Highway
San Antonio, Texas 78218
(210)828-2811


Funeral Service
Monday, December 27, 2010
12:00p.m. - 1:00p.m.
Sunset Funeral Chapel
1701 Austin Highway
San Antonio, Texas 78218
(210)828-2811

GUEST BOOK:  http://www.legacy.com/guestbook/sanantonio/guestbook.aspx?n=marvin-porter&pid=147372893&cid=gbsrchres

7 comments:

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

That is sad. Everyone (our age) remembers where they were when JFK was shot. I was (and you probably were too) in Mr. Porter's math class. He was a good guy.

Barry

Barry F. Cannaday
SNR Denton US LLP
2000 McKinney Avenue
Suite 1900
Dallas, Texas 75201

Telephone No.: (214) 259-1855
Fax No.: (214) 259-0910
Email: barry.cannaday@snrdenton.com

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

What a total bummer, you think some just get old and never think about them passing! Mr. Porter was so cool with his Cig breath and cover up by Listerine! He was always so supportive of those of us in sports and would talk in class about our football games, track meets or Basketball games. Mr. Porter was at the right place at the right time during the 60’s and 70’s ……RIP Mr. Porter, thank you for the memories and advice. Go Ro-Hawks!

Dennis Taylor
Class of '70

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

Thanks Gloria,
It bring back so many memories of school and especially of all the math classes with Mr. Porter.
Jeanne Roberts Stinson '65

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

Mr Porter was one of my favorite teachers...even though I never really got that algebra stuff...I remember some kids fooling around at the beginning of class while the National Anthem played...he unloaded on them...the only time I saw him get upset with kids...
Hope your Holidays are good...
Bill Fitzpatrick '64

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

I enjoyed teaching with Mr. Porter. He was one of my favorite characters. I remember students cleaning out his car when he was going to sell itt. It had about a carton of one to three "cancer sticks" in many different packages. He would purchase a new pack when he was low and tosss the change/unsued pack into the back seat. He never washed the car or changed oil. The students who cleaned out his car found several dollars in change.
I appreciate that he was invited to Bill Borellis' home when some of the Ro-Hawks got together a couple of summers ago.
I had sinus real bad and took some medicine while teaching. It made me higher than a "kite.: Marvin Porter came to my rescue and covered my class till I would recover.
I know he really appreciated yours as well as the friendship of all his former students.
Merry Christmas to you, your family and the Ro-Hawk Nation.
Coach Ivan Leschber

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

What a sad note. He was, without a doubt, the coolest teacher I ever had at RHS. I really looked forward to his class.

I'm sure he resented, until his dying day, the nickname of "Uncle Marv" that I inadvertently gave him over 40 years ago. But I assured him several years ago that it wasn't done out of meanness -- it was done out of admiration. He will be sorely missed by the whole RoHawk community. I'll be in SA on the 27th and will try my best to make the funeral.

John Lieberman, 66

Ro-Hawk/Gloria said...

Gloria,

Thank you for the sad news about Mr. Porter. I remember him very well and mourn his passing.

Regards,

Jeff Brown